Wednesday, December 19, 2007

John Roush

John in Brigantine NJ, probably March or April of 1975. John is making me listen to two albums by a local New Jersey musician named Bruce Springsteen.

- - -

A few days ago on a complete whim I sent a Christmas card to an old address I had for John Roush, whom I'd gone to college in Boulder Colorado with in the mid-70s. I hadn't been in communication with him since maybe 1980 or so. Almost 30 years. I didn't know if the address was any good. All previous attempts at communication had been unsuccessful. Anyway, today I got a reply from his wife Susan. Here's most of what she wrote:

Scott, I have heard your name over the years quite often. After listening to some of the stories, I would like to think we would get along just fine. It is with great sadness that I must tell you that John passed away July 10, 2006. He asked me to take him to the doctor July 5. Our doctor had us go to the emergency room immediately. His organs began to fail. By the 8th he could not breathe on his own. He was my life partner, the love of my life. We were in high school together. I got married young, John spent great years with you and the other guys. Lucky me, he came back to Jersey. We were married on Aug. 28, '92. I miss him more than anything. ... Just take a minute to think about John Roush, the best guy & crazy as they come. He was loved by everyone. My love through John to you, Susan Roush

John, Pete Blethen & John Crawford camping in the rain.
Me & John sitting on Greg Stuart's pickup truck in front of the Fremont Street house in Boulder, maybe spring of 1976?

John with his then-girlfriend Jan on the beach, Brigantine NJ, March or April 1975.

See you, man.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Tracy Stevenson said...

John and I met in Boulder in the seventies and were together for many years. I am shocked and deeply saddened to hear of his passing. R.I.P. John.

8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home